Robaina's

Robaina's
Robaina's plantation

Thursday 17 September 2015

Por Larrañaga Picadores (my thoughts)

                  As with my last (so called) review, I'm giving my thoughts on this cigar rather than a review, especially since this was the 3rd of 4 cigars on this particular afternoon and I had started drinking rum and enjoying some enriching conversation with friends. It's hard for me to pay that much attention to a cigar as to actually be doing a review, especially when I'm enjoying this time with some fellow smokers.
                  This cigar that weighs in at 48 x 127 (5.0") is considered a Corona Extra. It was gifted to me by a friend so I don't have a box date but this is a new release. They started selling these cigars in dress boxes of 25 cigars in 2014.
                  This was a slightly veiny cigar that had a mildly woody pre-light draw that once lit turned out to be earthy and nutty before switching to earth and wood. Medium to strong bodied smoke, I rather enjoyed it. The burn was slightly off throughout but nothing exaggerated and certainly nothing that effected the taste of the cigar. It wasn't overly complicated and pretty much kept the same flavour profile through the entire time that I smoked it. As for the 165cuc that a box of 25 cost in Cuba, as far as value goes, it's worth the money for a boxed cigar. What do I mean by that? That comes out to 6.60cuc per cigar (in Cuba) and by North American standards that's pretty good for a Cuban cigar. However, if I had the choice between this cigar or a Custom Roll Corona from Alex at the Hotel Comodoro Cigar Shop (or any other custom corona from any other shop) for 2.60cuc each, I think I would rather have the Custom Roll. I find the Custom rolls to be exceptional and the price comparison is a no-brainer. If you don't have access to Custom Rolls, then the Por Larrañaga Picadores is an excellent cigar at a reasonable price. If I could get a handful of these I wouldn't mind having a few in my humidor for those times when I don't want something that makes me think too much.


















               

No comments:

Post a Comment