Robaina's

Robaina's
Robaina's plantation

Tuesday 6 December 2016

Iglesia del Santo Angel Custodio (Havana)

                      Just when you thought I've written about all the churches in Old Havana....I go and find another one. Actually there may even be a couple more, this one kind of sprung up on me when I wandered along a street that I've not walked before. The fact is that I've seen the back of this church while driving out of Old Havana many times but as I said I've never walked by here, surprisingly.
                      The year the church was built varies from one publication to another but upon further investigation I believe it was built by the Bishop Diego Avelino de Compostela in early 1600's and promoted to accessory parish in 1630. It was badly damaged after a hurricane in 1846 and rebuilt by the Bishop Jacinto María Martínez from 1866-1871. Two of Cuba's most important people were baptized in this church, Félix Varela in 1788 and José Martí in 1853. The church is situated in front of a beautiful, tiny colonial square called Plazuela de Santo Ángel, I have to say that this is the most European looking spot that I've seen in the city. It's worth walking by here and maybe having a bite to eat or a cafe con leche on one of the patios located in front of the church. There are many restaurants in this pocket of Old Havana.



Calle Compostela y Cuarteles
Loma del Ángel, Habana Vieja
































Approaching the square by Calle Cuarteles



Approaching the square by Calle Compostela

                

No comments:

Post a Comment