Robaina's

Robaina's
Robaina's plantation

Monday 17 June 2013

La Gloria Cubana Inmensos LCDH Exclusivo (cigar review) 2010 release

                 I was very happy to have been able to find this box in it's 3rd year since it's release. I was disappointed in not having bought one on my previous trip but was relieved in finding them on this last visit in May. I would have bought them anyway but I was lucky to find them selling as singles at the Partagas LCDH and was able to try one before making the commitment to a full box. It was to be one of the better Special Releases that I have smoked over the last few years. This particular box I bought from the Club Havana LCDH in Miramar. What drew me to this box as opposed to others was firstly the Brand, La Gloria Cubana doesn't have many vitolas left so any addition is welcomed. Secondly, I love this vitola. The Sublime is known as a Double Robusto @ 54x164 (6.5"). 5000 unnumbered boxes of 10 cigars were released in 2010.
                 The cigars come in a decent looking lacquered wooden box of 10 across. To be honest, they didn't look that great, not bad but not great. Some were bumpy and/or mottled, some shiny and some dry looking. The cigar I smoked this day had a dry looking, smooth, caramel coloured wrapper with no veins and a well constructed cap. The pre-light draw gave me a very mild taste of wood and tobacco. Once I light it and take my first few hauls I get a lot of pepper on the lips with flavours of tea and earth. From the get-go the burn on this cigar is uneven but the draw is superb. The cigar starts off as strong but settles down to a medium to strong by the first half inch with hints of wood creeping in.
                 At the first inch the burn straightens itself out and I pick up a hint of dried fruit through a part of the smoke. It continues to maintain it's strength. Close to the 2" mark the ash falls on it's own and the burn is off again. Flavours aren't changing much at this point.
                 At about the halfway mark I touched it up with my torch. Picking up a hint of leather for a few minutes. I've done a couple of touch-ups and a relight but it hasn't affected the flavour of the cigar, still tasting great at the last third. Picked up hints of floral notes off and on during the last part of this smoke and it toned down to a medium strength before picking up strength again at the last 1/4. The burn is still off and it turns a bit bitter with the floral notes coming in a bit stronger. At one point it was burning hot through the middle. A bit of a mess near the end but I was able to get pretty close to it before it turned on me.
                I still remain happy to have bought this box of cigars and would contemplate buying another. I strongly recommend this cigar but it's not for the novice smoker. A full-bodied smoke, unlike their regular production line. From what I've read, this cigar has gone through a lot of changes since it was first released. Although it's smoking very well, I won't have another one for at least 6 months to a year. It can stand a little more time in the humidor. I'm looking forward to seeing how it will turn out.
























No comments:

Post a Comment