Robaina's

Robaina's
Robaina's plantation

Tuesday 9 May 2017

Graffiti in Cuba

               According to Wikipedia, Graffiti are writing or drawings that have been scribbled, scratched, or painted illicitly on a wall or other surface, often within public view. Graffiti range from simple written words to elaborate wall paintings, and they have existed since ancient times, with examples dating back to Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece, and the Roman Empire. Cuba isn't all that different from other country's Graffiti but more of it seems to be work of art in my view, seemingly done by famous artists in some cases. However, keeping in mind that in other countries Graffiti is considered vandalism and punishable by law, I often wonder if what I'm seeing in Cuba is allowed by the government or done on the sly. I can't tell you if any of the characters have some kind of hidden meaning, a shot to the government, but it's not painted over so I'm going to have to guess that if it is, the government doesn't know it. Considering Havana is a city of more than two million people with many of them living in poverty, the amount of graffiti that is found on it's streets is considerably low, therefore I'm going to guess that it's frowned upon. Below are pictures of some of the graffiti I've captured with my camera over the years.






































No comments:

Post a Comment