Robaina's

Robaina's
Robaina's plantation

Sunday 7 May 2017

Waco's Club (Restaurant) Varadero

                  I've been spending a little time in Varadero lately when visiting Cuba and more so on my last trip. I never really gave any thought to the restaurant culture there until recently when before my trip I trawled the internet to see what was available....there was lots. Of all the places that existed, Waco's was the one I chose. Why? The pictures of the food and decor on TripAdvisor as well as the description of the experiences had me choose this place above the others. I can't tell you how it rates against other restaurants in Varadero but it's definitely better than any of the State Run enterprises I've tried, that's for sure, but it's also a considerable amount more expensive.
                  If you've ever been to Varadero, my guess is that if you've managed to leave your resort the furthest you've gone is to the main strip on 1ra Ave that runs through town. You've probably been up and down that strip, stopping to buy a few trinkets and maybe a mojito or two. It's the typical thing to do as a tourist but there's a whole other world out there beyond the strip. I myself on the previous couple of trips didn't have time to venture off that track but made a point of doing so this time, at least long enough to visit a decent restaurant. It's only a short walk off the main road in the middle of the residential area....yes, there's a residential area in Varadero, it's not just beaches and hotels. The place is not difficult to find but you need to know where you're going as it's tucked away from all the traffic. They don't get any walk-in business but the place is always busy, we couldn't get a table for 7 on the patio where I could smoke my cigar...no smoking indoors.
                  The service was pleasant, the decor was tasteful and the food, although it took a considerable amount of time to get to us, was acceptable. It may have been a little pricey for Cuba but much cheaper than what it would cost back home. I opted for the meat and fish platter (specialty) for 2 which 3 of us shared and couldn't finish. The meat portion of our platter was overdone for my taste but for those who ordered the meat as their main course it was done perfectly.
                  If I could get a table on the patio on a future occasion, I would return....as I said, although the food was good, it took way too long to get to us. If I have a cigar to smoke while I'm waiting, I wouldn't care how long the food took. Give it a try, it shouldn't disappoint you, just be prepared to wait for your food.....PS....the wine is overpriced.















Appetizer Stuffed Peppers $5


Smoked Salmon Lasagna Appetizer $7



Lobster Tail & Shrimp $25


Pork Dinner $11.50


Filet Mignon $25.95


Paradilla Combo (for 2) $50



Desserts $5 each















No comments:

Post a Comment