Robaina's

Robaina's
Robaina's plantation

Thursday 4 April 2013

Art is Everywhere (Pinar del Rio)

                    As I've said in the past, Art is everywhere in Cuba. On my last trip I was able to spend a couple of days out in Pinar del Rio, starting in Vinales and ending in San Luis. For those of you who don't know, the town of San Luis is a speck of a town right in the middle of the most fertile tobacco land in Cuba. On the morning of my departure from San Luis, my good friend and guide, Juan, took me on a short trek to visit a local artist. We were pressed for time and only had a few minutes by the time we got there. The name of the artist is David Santa Fe but I hate to say I hadn't the time to interview him. I'm sure I'll meet him again on a future trip. Check out the door in the second last picture, it's made out of copper, I thought it was so cool. Here was this guy (whether you like his art or not, he's talented) with a studio in his backyard, house on a dirt road, in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere. I love Cuba, you can find Art, Culture or Music just about anywhere. I hope you enjoy the pics.





The Artist










Good friend and Guide, Juan

No comments:

Post a Comment