Robaina's

Robaina's
Robaina's plantation

Sunday 4 August 2013

H.Upmann Half Corona (cigar review) Box Date Oct.2012

                This cigar is a favourite of many people up here in Canada but not so much for the taste (which is great) but for it's size. They can't keep it stocked, it's almost impossible to find. As it's a colder country with at least 6 months of the year being uncomfortable or impossible to smoke outside, this cigar is a quick fix for any aficionado. On a recent trip I had the room and so I brought me back a couple of boxes. It's taken me about a year to finish my first box (many were gifted). They've gotten progressively better through the last 6 months and I'm happy to have another box waiting in the wings.
                 This box was produced the year the Half Corona was released, in 2012, and weighs in at 44 x 90 (3.5"). It has no veins, a perfect cap and is as hard as a rock. The first draw was dry and grassy with a hint of floral. The burn was almost straight right from the start and the draw was perfect. By the time I reached the first quarter the flavours had change completely. I was now tasting leather and earth with a touch of wood. The burn was still perfect and the hint of floral came and went.
                 Reaching the first 1/3 of this cigar, it was a medium body. I was going to flick the ash at about the 1/2 way mark but it was solid and not giving me draw issues so I left it on. The ash finally fell on it's own but near the end. The flavours didn't really change much during the last half but kept tasting great. I didn't stop smoking this cigar until I couldn't hold it anymore.
                 I never carry small cigars back with me from Cuba but I'm glad I did this time. It was the only way I was going to have this many in my humidor. I'm super happy to be able to have the choice of smoking something this size if I lack the time for a regular size smoke. The fact that it's a great cigar is a bonus. I recommend this smoke to anyone who can get their hands on it. The fact that it doesn't kill you with strength like a Cohiba Siglo I or Trinidad Reyes (similar sizes), makes it approachable for any novice as well. Couple that with the fact that it's relatively inexpensive in Cuba and you have a nice little package. Do yourself a favour, if you ever have the chance, try one.


















No comments:

Post a Comment