Robaina's

Robaina's
Robaina's plantation

Friday 23 March 2012

Cafe Laurent (restaurant revisited)

             This restaurant continues to be one of my favourites. I was there for New Year's Eve night and again for lunch that week and both times were great but this post is from my visit on the last week of February. On this visit there were 3 of us, the third person was not a local, giving me another point of view.
              I have to say, the service has always been pleasant and professional. We're always greeted with a smile at the door and the same people have been working there for a while. It's always nice to go to a place where people remember you. On this occasion we had some menu items we haven't tried before and some stuff we've had before and enjoyed.
               As an appetizer my guest had what they called the 'Ceviche' on the menu but didn't look like Ceviche on the plate. It was slightly seared Tuna over sweet potato mash with caramelized onions, sauted green pepper and carrot, a wonderful combination. The quality of the tuna was excellent. I had the Lobster Cocktail as I did on my previous visit and once again it didn't disappoint. A whole boiled lobster tail with homemade tartar sauce on the side and a dollop of guava jam. I could have done without the jam but it wasn't unpleasant. I opted to dip into the tartar instead. Cooked to perfection, a whole lobster tail chopped up, what a deal at 6.35 cuc. My date had the Stuffed Pimentos once again and loved them. They look like little baby sweet red pepper and they're stuffed with a creamy tuna this time. The consistency of this place is a beautiful thing.
                For the maincourse my guest and I shared a large whole Red Snapper. The menu says it's fried but don't be scared, you wouldn't even know it. Cooked just right and not oily or dry at all. My guest couldn't tell it was fried. There's real olive oil on the table and that's all the fish needed. My date had the seared Lobster Tail. A whole seared lobster tail cooked out of the shell but served with the shell attached. She was quite happy. All the dishes had a beautiful presentation. For dessert my date had something called 'Leche Frita' which translated means fried milk. It was served with a scoop of strawberry ice cream on the side. I should have asked how it was prepared but didn't. I can tell you it was divine.
                Once again an outstanding meal, the reason it continues to be a favourite of ours. With 2 bottles of wine (50cuc) and the 10% gratuity that they add already, the bill came out to 143cuc for the 3 of us. This is probably as expensive as it gets for me. Not bad I would say. I'm looking forward to going back and trying something new and maybe find out how they make that dessert.


Calle M e/19 y 21 no.257 Penthouse
Vedado, La Habana
Tel.(537) 831-2090 832-6890




















Stuffed Pimentos



















Tuna Ceviche


Lobster Cocktail



Patio at Night




Lobster Main Course


Whole Red Snapper


A Happy Customer


Leche Frito Dessert


Private Room

1 comment:

  1. It opens my appetite to see those dishes. Fortunately not yet invented the smell on TV.

    If you like Sushi Japanese, I invite you to taste it in my blog. Do not miss this.

    http://gelois49.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete