Robaina's

Robaina's
Robaina's plantation

Thursday 15 March 2012

Ramon Allones Edicion Regional Asia Pacifico 2006 (cigar review)

              This cigar is called the 'Estupendo' and was sent to me by a good friend just a few days ago. I was looking forward to smoking it. There were 2 releases of this churchill. After the original release in 2006 it was re-released again in 2007. I don't know which one I smoked but regardless, it's had plenty of time to age.
               Firstly I have to say this cigar was as hard as a rock. There was no give and I was worried it was going to be one of those typical Cubans of the past. Having said that, it had a smooth, oily, dark wrapper and a beautiful looking cap. The pre-light draw surprised me, flavours of chocolate and toffee and that fact that I was actually getting a draw was the surprising part. After actually lighting the cigar I realized the draw was a bit firm with a hint of wood. The burn was just a bit off so I let it go without touching it up. I had to draw less frequently so the cigar wouldn't burn too hot. That's hard for me because I tend to smoke my cigars rather quickly. The body on this cigar was about a medium, not too strong not too mild. At about the 1 1/2 inch mark the draw continued to be a bit firm. I flicked the ash at about this time and surprisingly found that for as much as it was firm, it was actually burning properly. What I mean to say is, if you look at the picture, you can see that the outside of the cigar was burning a little faster, as it should. Except for the fact that it was a little tight, it had been     rolled properly.
                As I neared the halfway mark the draw got a little better but the flavour hadn't changed, it was still a medium strength with the woody flavours being the dominant ones. It began to take on some bitter notes but that didn't last. At this point it began to burn uneven so I touched it up with my torch. As I neared the last 2 inches and I flicked the ash, the cigar was burning hotter through the middle but it didn't change the flavour of the smoke. I smoked this down to about the 1 1/2 inch mark before I had enough. It was tough to get a good draw being so tight and so short.
                 Overall I enjoyed this cigar but wished it was a little less tight. The flavours may have been a little more intense if I would have been able to get a good draw from it. It may have been a little moist as well but regardless, I don't think letting it sit would have made that big of a difference. I'm sure I will come across one of these babies again and we'll see if it was just a one off or if the whole batch is like this.
             


















No comments:

Post a Comment