Robaina's

Robaina's
Robaina's plantation

Sunday 24 July 2011

Bellas Artes

              The 'Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes de La Habana' is, in my opinion, a must see. Up until last year, I did not imagine the quality of art that had been produced in Cuba through the years. Like most tourists, I thought Cuban art was limited to those paintings & statues you see in the open markets or small shops around Havana & your hotel in the all-inclusives. I was pleasantly surprised.
               The new Palacio of Bellas Artes http://www.cubaabsolutely.com/Bellas_Artes.html was opened in 1954. There are two buildings, one dedicated to Cuban art & the other 'Palacio del Centro Asturiano' to universal arts. Both are worth a visit but the Cuban is the most facinating for me. You can see the influences through the years. I took a few pictures even though I wasn't allowed. That means I was limited to the paintings I could photograph because of all the guards. Enjoy

















No comments:

Post a Comment