Robaina's

Robaina's
Robaina's plantation

Wednesday 30 May 2012

Cohiba Siglo VI (cigar review)

                 Firstly, I have to say that I'm a little partial to this cigar, it's my favourite regular production Cuban. This particular one was gifted to me by a friend and I don't know the box date. After having smoked it however it seemed to be young, maybe a year old.

                 Very hard to the touch, like a rock. It had a light brown, smooth, veinless wrapper. The way a Siglo VI should be, a perfect specimen. The pre-light draw gave me hints of tea. The draw was perfect and once lit it was very big with strong cedar flavours coming through. By the time I hit the first quarter I was picking up burnt coffee bean and bitter cocoa. The burn was just slightly off.
                 By the time I reached the half-way mark the cigar had settled into a medium to strong body. This cigar may have been rolled at Partagas but I don't know that. The Partagas factory has a tendency to roll their Siglo VI's a little stronger than the other factories. I don't usually find a Siglo VI this strong even if it is young as I suspect this one is. The burn was still almost right but I touched it up anyway. The flavours had changed again and I was getting a lot of earthiness.
                 With a third left to go the cigar was getting stronger and the earthy flavour held on until the last quarter and that's when the cigar turned on me.
                 I think this particular Siglo VI could have used a couple of years of age. Too bad, it could have been a much better smoke. The fact that I had nothing to drink with it to stimulate my taste buds, didn't help. I still enjoyed it just the same, I hadn't had one in a while. It was very different than the VI's I remember and now I'm wanting to smoke another to compare. For now, Cohiba Siglo VI is still my favourite regular production Cuban.




















               




No comments:

Post a Comment