Robaina's

Robaina's
Robaina's plantation

Saturday 3 March 2012

Partagas Serie E no.2 (cigar review)

             I've always liked the size of this cigar from the moment it was released and being a Partagas was just a bonus. I've had a couple before I started doing reviews and remember enjoying them and feeling like they were a bigger version of a good D4.
              The pre-light draw was spicy on the tongue, lots of pepper. Firm to the touch but a perfect draw. The wrapper has no major veins, is a light toffee colour, smooth, with a great looking cap. It starts out strong to medium when I first light it with flavours of wood with a little leather and tea. The burn begins a little uneven and about an inch into the cigar the edge comes off the strength. The cigar is still canoeing but a nice ash is holding firm. Of course as usual at this point I began to touch it up with my torch and soon after I flicked the ash. The reason for this is I've found that if the cigar burns badly and you keep the ash too long, the taste of the cigar is altered. Almost at the halfway mark the cigar looked like it was going to blow up and at this point I started sipping on 15 yr. Zacapa Rum.. The cigar didn't blow up and began to mellow out, turned into a good solid medium smoke. When about a third of the cigar was left I took off the band and the wrapper began to peel a bit. Now the cigar began to expand a bit but it always smoked well and tasted great. It was beginning to look horrible when there was a little over an inch remaining and began to pick up strength to the point that I had to put it down for a few minutes at a time to cool down. I could hardly hold it at this point. It was not long afterwards that I stopped smoking.
               Overall, I enjoyed this cigar very much. Although I don't own any boxes yet, I would definitely buy some of these. They are smoking well right now but I think a little time could refine them a bit.















2 comments:

  1. Just had my first one last night. Must agree with your comments. Had exactly the same problem with the cigar "blowing up" a bit. Nice and peppery. A classic Partagas. Can't wait to try the Series P No. 2 next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The P2 is a great cigar. You're gonna love it.

    ReplyDelete