Robaina's

Robaina's
Robaina's plantation

Wednesday 28 March 2012

Rafael Gonzalez Lonsdale (cigar review)

             I met with some new friends last week and a kind gentlemen gifted me this cigar and told me the box date was 2005. As you can imagine, I was looking forward to trying it.
            This cigar was quite firm to the touch, hard actually. I was worried about lighting it thinking I wouldn't be able to draw from it. The wrapper was slightly veiny and bumpy with a bumpy cap as well. The look of a cigar has never really affected what I think but I was worried I wouldn't be able to draw from this stick. Much to my surprise, once I clipped it and took a pre-light draw, it pulled beautifully. I really couldn't pick up any flavours at this point, it was quite mild.
             Once lit I picked up earthy floral notes but ever so slight. It was a light to medium body but closer to the light side. The burn started out pretty even and was that way until about the 1/3 mark. At about this time it picked up a bit of strength and I began to note hints of tea. At about the halfway mark the burn was off and the cigar began to taste a bit bitter. I touched it up with my torch. The bitterness went away shortly after that and it began to burn hotter through the middle. We were now close to the 2/3 mark. It had been burning even for a little while but once again at this point the burn was off. The cigar had mellowed out by the last 1/4. I smoked it till the bitter end.
              It was a good smoke with a little character. Mild but bordering on the medium when it went through it's changes. I wonder what they were like when they were first released.



















No comments:

Post a Comment